Close to standard: Your IT landscape under SAP S/4HANA
The classic ERP world is heterogeneous and often highly complex. With a modern architecture, you can now create the prerequisites for future growth - whether in medium-sized businesses or in global corporations.
SAP S/4HANA has enormous advantages. The new ERP suite is convenient for users, radically simplifies analyses and creates the framework for taking advantage of the benefits of digitization. And when will you switch?
We have developed a method that enables you to implement SAP S/4HANA quickly and securely. Contact us and find out how this procedure can help you too.
The cloud makes companies more agile, costs are reduced and innovations can be introduced faster. The best way to get to the cloud is through a greenfield implementation.
Emre Cetin, Sales ExecutiveLet's talk about your project!
+41 79 533 47 16
SAP Implementation: Start your project now with GAMBIT
You want to use the full potential of SAP S/4HANA? You want to implement a lean, up-to-date and above all future-proof IT landscape?
In most cases, one way to do this is best: a new implementation, also known as a greenfield approach. SAP Greenfield means something like "on a greenfield site". The system is therefore set up from scratch.
Companies thus have the unique opportunity to make the change from an evolved and often heterogeneous IT landscape to a lean, harmonised, uniform and flexible ERP system.
Ultimately, however, it is not the path or the "colour" that is decisive, but the goal: i.e. not greenfield or brownfield, but basically a kind of futurefield, the contemporary and permanently lean architecture.
The best SAP solution for your business
If you are an SAP newcomer and do not yet work with an ERP system from SAP, then it is simple: the greenfield approach is the only way for you to implement SAP S/4HANA.
If, on the other hand, you are already using an ERP system from SAP, you primarily have the choice between two paths to SAP S/4HANA:
- the New Implementation ("Greenfield") and
- the System Conversion ("Brownfield").
Further approaches ("Selective Data Transistion") are usually always based on the System Conversion, which is enriched with a selective data migration.
SAP Greenfield vs. Brownfield
Brownfield means that SAP experts upgrade the existing SAP ERP system to SAP S/4HANA in one step.
However, data and developments are also transferred - including old code, obsolete data and functions that either have no successor in SAP S/4HANA or were discontinued by SAP by the end of 2027.
If, on the other hand, you choose the greenfield approach, you make a clean cut between the previous ERP system and SAP S/4HANA.
You create the foundation for a future-proof IT architecture and get the opportunity to resolve pain points in the course of the new implementation.
We discuss the topic in detail in the article Greenfield vs. Brownfield.
SAP Best Practice - close to the standard
In the greenfield approach, the software is implemented along the SAP best practice processes, i.e. close to the standard. In addition, the master data is taken over from the existing systems, if necessary also with cleansing and harmonisation.
The SAP Best Practices are pre-configured and immediately available business processes with which the basic requirements of companies can be fulfilled.
Implement SAP S/4HANA with GAMBIT
Are you looking for a partner with whom you can tackle such a greenfield implementation with a focus on best practice standards now?
Rely on GAMBIT - an experienced companion and enabler who knows what matters in such an introduction.
With our 360-degree process model, we also support you and your company on the way to SAP S/4HANA: comprehensively, individually and with the highest quality standards.
This is what GAMBIT Consulting stands for:
- Tried and tested approach
- Business, IT and implementation expertise
- Transparent and simple pricing model
- Licences for SAP S/4HANA (certified licence partner)
- Design directly in the live system
- Digital Education Concepts and E-Learning
Emre Cetin, Sales ExecutiveCall and arrange a no-obligation consultation.
+41 79 533 47 16
Grown over many years: the typical SAP system
In order to better understand why we recommend that most of our customers go greenfield, we should first take a look together at where many companies currently stand that use SAP ERP or SAP R/3.
If you already use an ERP system from SAP, your ERP landscape probably looks like this:
- In your SAP core there are numerous in-house developments (so-called Z developments) - that is, your own individual adaptations and solutions that have been developed over many years.
- In addition, there are various environment systems that are connected to this conglomerate of functions and components via classic interface technology.
It is a world that is now used by almost every company that uses SAP ERP. This world was state of the art for a long time. And it still has its advantages.
- Above all, independence from third parties should be mentioned here, because requirements can be implemented independently. In addition, it is possible to adapt almost any development and solution individually to one's own needs.
- From today's perspective, however, the disadvantages still outweigh the advantages. The classical structure of ERP systems has become outdated. Today it slows down companies in their further development.
In what condition is your ERP system?
Do you have such a classic system in use? Then you know what you have to deal with. Because a conventional ERP system is
- mostly historically grown, highly complex and heterogeneous,
- hard to maintain
- difficult to upgrade and keep up to date
- many developments are highly interdependent
- IT's ability to react decreases
- serious know-how problems can arise if employees with expert knowledge are no longer available
Anyone planning to introduce SAP S/4HANA should therefore carefully consider whether they should take the software from the old ERP world one-to-one into the new world of SAP S/4HANA - as in the case of a system conversion.
This applies in particular because a system conversion does not allow access to the best practices. This also means that a later changeover to a cloud solution is significantly more cost-intensive. Therefore, include future developments in your planning today.
Implementation of SAP Conversion
Should you decide to convert, we will also implement this with you.
SAP provides a standardized roadmap and various helpful tools for the transformation. Our experts use their consulting know-how to carefully and proactively adapt this best-practice solution to your individual requirements and goals.
We accompany and support you at every stage of your brownfield project - before, during and after the S/4HANA migration. In this way, we ensure successful implementation of your SAP S/4HANA conversion with as little downtime as possible.
Together we implement the SAP S/4HANA conversion step by step with you and guide you transparently through the decisive phases.
- Kick-off with extensive on-boarding
- Check of the system requirements
- Testing and optimization of databases
- Practical phase of the migration (content and technical migration)
- Individualization of the system landscape (configuration, customization & security)
- Individual reworking
Why SAP Greenfield is often better
Taking the path of conversion may well be recommended. This is also technically possible as a rule if companies take certain special features into account. In most cases, however, the best way to replace SAP ERP is probably a greenfield migration.
There are two main reasons for this:
- You get a modern IT architecture and use best practices.
This means: With Greenfield, you get an ERP system that - due to the flexible handling of interfaces via apps and the new principles of the overall architecture - remains clean in the long run and for which there will be no problems with updates and upgrades in the future.
- They set the course towards the future and the cloud.
This means that SAP S/4HANA software is not just a technical update of existing systems. Rather, SAP S/4HANA is a strategic opportunity to realign the entire business model - for example, by using the cloud, through new analysis options, through more easily scalable processes, or through the application of artificial intelligence.
Your new software: faster, more flexible and less complex
- A modern IT architecture under SAP S/4HANA looks like this:
- It is close to the SAP standard and thus to best practices,
- is therefore - despite new functionalities - far less complex,
- The applications are located in part or in full in the cloud or, depending on requirements, on their own platforms,
- it can be extended individually in many ways using modern frameworks, and is nevertheless release-safe.
- Above all, it is interconnected via real-time interfaces.
The heart of such an architecture is the digital core of SAP S/4HANA.
This core is based on the HANA database and is preconfigured as standard via scope items. These scope items are the respective activatable units of the best practices. The core already contains all central functions.
After a new implementation, additional, separate software components are available in SAP S/4HANA, which are connected to the core via modern API interfaces:
- Extensions released by SAP (Extensibility Framework),
- Business Cloud Apps (from SAP or third parties),
- non-SAP environment systems and
- company's own apps.
Between the applications, communication runs via API protocols, which have evolved from web technology to become a quasi-standard for developments in general. SAP already delivers these protocols as a docking area for connecting apps in the standard. In conjunction with the powerful in-memory database SAP HANA, they connect all data in real time.
The advantage for you: In this way, current and fully harmonized financial key figures or even customer data are available to you at any time and at the push of a button - a clear competitive advantage over those companies that are not yet moving in this world.
The benefits of a contemporary SAP ERP system.
The advantages of an IT architecture in the best practice standard are:
- no restrictions in processes and functions,
- high speed of adaptation to new developments,
- lower operating costs,
- greater independence from third parties,
- maximum flexibility in the choice of operating model, and
- high investment protection through permanent product up-to-dateness.
Your Company and the SAP Cloud
Those who want to implement such a contemporary architecture will usually do so in whole or in part in the cloud. It is the key to significantly more flexibility, less complexity, greater adaptability of functions and lower costs.
On the part of SAP, two cloud solutions in particular are available for this purpose:
- the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Edition (PCE) and
- the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition.
The variant currently preferred by many companies is the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Edition - a private cloud solution that combines the advantages of an on-premise solution with the benefits of a cloud solution.
The way to the private cloud at SAP is via RISE with SAP (RISE with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Edition). This offering bundles a variety of tools and solutions that facilitate and accelerate the implementation.
The fastest route to the cloud is SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition. This is a modern and flexible SaaS public cloud solution (SaaS = software as a service).
For companies that want to achieve maximum standardization, this variant is the best way to go - available via RISE with SAP or for new customers in the midmarket via GROW with SAP.
Would you like to learn more about the cloud solutions or about RISE and benefit from the advantages of the cloud with your company?
Please contact us. GAMBIT is certified for all available operating models, has already implemented various cloud projects, is experienced in dealing with methods and models and is an official SAP S/4HANA cloud partner.
Emre Cetin, Sales ExecutiveMake an appointment for a meeting now!
+41 79 533 47 16
Overview of an SAP Implementation with GAMBIT
You are curious and interested in a SAP S/4 HANA Greenfield approach with GAMBIT?
Don't hesitate and contact us - our management and our consultants will introduce you to our procedure models, tools and strategies.
A first overview of a SAP S/4HANA implementation with GAMBIT:
- We always start with a GAMBIT pre-study (roadmap program).
- In this pre-study we develop a suitable SAP roadmap for the implementation - depending on your progress we build on already achieved results.
- For the implementation of SAP S/4HANA you can use our proven end-to-end process model. It is based on SAP Activate.
- The duration of an SAP implementation is usually between 6 and 18 months in total.
- GAMBIT supports you in evaluating your license situation. In addition, you can purchase licenses from us.
Your way to a new SAP system with GAMBIT
We implement SAP S/4HANA together with you using our tried-and-tested 360-degree process model.
We divide the process roughly into three phases:
1. In phase 1 we analyze the initial situation. We go in search of the drivers for your SAP S/4HANA implementation. This phase also includes important preliminary analyses for the further preliminary investigation.
2. In phase 2 we prepare the implementation. In doing so, we pay particular attention to budgets, time and risks. Part of this phase is the evaluation of the various operating models as well as the corresponding new license models.
3. In phase 3, the design, implementation and rollout take place. Now the implementation takes place: setting up customer model companies, technical implementation, training and testing, cutover and go-live.
Durable „green“ solution with 100 percent standard
From our point of view, a central goal is to use best practices as much as possible in order to maintain the future viability of your SAP S/4HANA system in the long run and to benefit from SAP S/4HANA to the maximum.
At GAMBIT, we also speak of the "Perpetual Green Approach" in this context. This means that product updates and innovations are available to you permanently and regularly, and that you can also adapt your system quickly and effectively whenever necessary.
Our goal is therefore to provide you with a permanently "green" system.
Such a system
- supports your business processes optimally,
- is as close as possible to the standard and
- is open for all SAP operating models in the future.
- In addition, you benefit from new functions in future releases through rapid release upgrades.
Implementation of SAP S/4HANA with SAP Activate
For the introduction of SAP S/4HANA with the Greenfield Methodology, GAMBIT relies on SAP Activate. SAP Activate is a combination of best-practice processes, methods and user-guided configuration to implement SAP S/4HANA quickly and securely.
However, we have further developed SAP Activate. Our approach reduces the time required and the complexity of the project. In this way, you can implement SAP S/4HANA even faster and more securely.
The methodology is characterized by the fact that we carry out the implementation - in close cooperation with the specialist departments in your company - agile and in several fast cycles.
Your SAP S/4HANA trial run - live, digital, immediately
The basis of the agile approach is preset live systems. SAP calls these demo systems SAP S/4HANA Fully Activated Appliance.
In addition, key digital features outside of SAP S/4HANA are already included to demonstrate to companies the full power of the SAP Intelligent Enterprise family:
- SAP Business Technology Platform connectivity
- Connection of SAP FIORI-based apps
- IoT integration with Digital Twin simulation
- MDM/MDG integration as an integrated data hub
- Rest API-based interfaces for live data streaming
- Mobile Application Docking
With the help of such a live demo system, employees in the specialist departments can access the SAP S/4HANA system at an early stage and actively accompany the expansion.
The special feature, however, is that we adapt the SAP S/4HANA Fully Activated Appliance to your company, so that the experience of a possible new solution becomes very vivid for the later users.
- Live systems allow users to immediately play through end-to-end process chains.
- They provide information about the usability by the users.
- The system can already be optimized in the design phase and does not have to be adjusted later on in a time-consuming process.
- In addition, this approach ensures broad user acceptance through early and intensive user participation.
In contrast to the Fully Activated Appliance, the so-called Model Company is an industry-specific solution that contains a pre-selection of best practices and additional processes and solutions and is subject to a fee.
Typical errors during SAP implementation
In many companies, businesses only look at the technical requirements. In doing so, however, they run the risk that the chosen operating model or target architecture does not fit the strategic and operational goals of the company.
Sometimes the necessary project effort is also underestimated - and the entire organization suffers under the heavy burden of the implementation and loses productivity.
We are aware of the risks. That is why we attach particular importance to not only looking at the technical side of an implementation.
Rather, we take into account the strategic, business and future requirements in your company - in concrete terms and with the help of measurable target figures.
360-degree approach to SAP S/4HANA implementation
Our experienced consultants keep an eye on the entire process from day one: With our 360-degree approach to the implementation of SAP S/4HANA and a detailed preliminary study, we ensure that risks are minimized and that subsequent difficulties do not arise in the first place.
In this way, you are always on the safe side. You get what you need. And above all, you get exactly the target architecture that best suits your company and your long-term goals.
Your advantages of an SAP implementation with GAMBIT at a glance:
- Everything from a single source - from roadmap and implementation to application lifecycle management
- Certified SAP S/4HANA licensing partner
- Customized live demo systems with end-to-end process scenarios
- Own SAP Data Migration Factory
- Implementation expertise and certification for all operating models
- Own digital education concepts as e-learnings
- Proven and certified project management methodology
- Reduced risks through integrated risk and compliance management
Your SAP Greenfield Project with GAMBIT
We implement SAP S/4HANA Greenfield for you.
You too can now benefit from our end-to-end process model, from the expertise and experience of our consultants with SAP S/4HANA and from our proven project management.
Do you have questions or would you like to know more?
Emre Cetin, Sales ExecutiveArrange a consultation without obligation.
+41 79 533 47 16